Thursday, April 18, 2013

A new day...

As I recover my health, I'm trying to increase my activity a little bit at a time.  So, I'm going to work on my blogs more.  Today, I'm posting pics of some of the lace shawls I knitted last year.

This is a story I posted in facebook, but it is worthy of posting in a public venue.

...so give me a sec while I channel one of the Bronte Sisters....


It was a day dawning miserable, with the overwhelming sunshine made offensive by the migraine that awoken me. It was not unknown to me why this affliction should be present, mother nature has elected, with great humor, to bestow upon us unseasonably hot days (triple digits in April?!), that descend into seasonably cool nights. It is this unbearably diverse temperature swings that affect me so grievously.

I struggled long hours trying to calm the stomach, cope with the fog that permeated my thoughts and still find some small project which with to be productive. I gleaned on a lace shawl that, despite my brain struggling against the migraine, the instructions seemed easy enough. I bravely started stitching, but soon was forced to abandon the pattern.

I gave in to defeat, and heartless perused the internet for some tiny moment's distraction... and found a YT account with several great works of fiction read aloud with subtitles, as well.

The quite strains of Jane Eyre calmed my frustrations, and the lace shawl once again beckoned. However, this time, my needles forsook the words of others, and mysteriously followed a path all their own.

I had just finished chapter 15, when I clipped the thread, and fed the blocking wire through the finished product.  
I called this Shawl Jane Eyre, and I sold it at a living history event just short of one year after I finished it.  It was knitted with 1 skein of Caron Simply Soft and size 8(usa) needles.  

1 comment:

Paula Martin Perry said...

I just wanted to comment that the pictures do not do justice to your "Works of Art". Being able to buy these 'period correct accessories' is such a blessing, especially to someone just starting out doing Living History. They also work beautifully with today's fashions.